Smart dogs?

Daily Mail:

Rua a Springer Spaniel which has been fostered out over Christmas.
The Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said six puppies have already been given into its animal shelter since the Christmas holidays.
And the animal charity expects a surge in the number of puppies to be returned in the first few months of the year.
Photo by Chris BaconDogs really DO understand their master's voice: Researchers find canines process language in a similar way to humans


Sussex researchers have found that pet dogs process language in a similar way to humans, learning to recognise the groups of consonants and vowels that make up spoken commands.
My current dog surprises me with his comprehension of what I am saying.  I started out with basic commands such as Come or Stay.  He has the habit of waiting for me by the mail box on the road about a quarter of a mile from the house when I leave to go to town.  When I get out to check the mail I tell him "Go to the house" and he is off like Rin Tin Tin.  He also seems to understand  Let's go home."  When we both go to the mail box, I tell him "Let;s go check the mail" and he heads for the door heads down the road with me.  Winner is a shelter dog that looks like an Irish setter.  He loves kids and is very protective when we are out for a walk if other animals approach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains