I think Puerto Rico's forest will regenerate itself

NY Times:

Another Victim of Hurricane Maria: Puerto Rico’s Treasured Rainforest

Maria’s winds ripped through the only tropical rain forest in the United States forest system, decimating much of its flora and fauna..
I built my house in a forested area of Texas. It has a lot of hardwood trees as well cedars.  It has been amazing to me how quickly it regenerates even when some trees die or get broken by wind.  Weeds if left unattended can turn into trees literally.  It is hard to keep them from growing through a six-inch-thick roadbase for my driveway.  Even the paved roads have weeds growing in them.  I would anticipate that within a short period of time the rain forest of Puerto Rico will be back.  The environment is not nearly as fragile as many who live in the city think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains