Country life has its perks

Washington Post:
People who live in small towns and rural areas are happier than everyone else, researchers say

Canadian researchers said the happiest communities had shorter commute times, less expensive housing, higher church attendance and a smaller share of the foreign-born population.
I moved to the country about 20 years ago and have had few occasions to regret it.  When I have to go to the city now I notice my stress level increases the closer I get.  While I still have to go into Houston from time to time, I have gotten where I avoid going to Austin whenever possible. 

I used to enjoy Austin but that was when it was about a quarter of its current population.  Once you get there finding a parking space is enough of a hassle to make you wonder why you came.  I go to Houston now mostly for specialty shops or for medical treatment. 

As far as shopping goes, Amazon has taken the place of many of these trips.  The prices are usually better and the shipping charges are less than the gas it takes to get to the city and back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Republicans go ahead and add Supreme Court Justices to head off Democrats

29 % of companies say they are unlikely to keep insurance after Obamacare

Bin Laden's concern about Zarqawi's remains